Pages

Feb 24, 2013

Bolivia yummies

Snacks, I love snacks, especially cheap delicious snacks.

Alfajores
Alfajores. Alfajores is one of those things that will make you crazy eat 6 at a time then feeling really fat about it but can't help but do it again the next time you lay hands on them. I walk by this small pastry stand open on the way back home from spanish class. I buy one every single time I see it, it's like they have magic power over my taste buds. Bolivian alfajores is kind of like macaroon but it crumbles easily with sweet dulce de leche in the middle.

the root of all evil yumminess, dulce de leche
Dulce de leche. I was first introduced to dulce de leche at breakfast on the amazon trip. It was one of the spreads you could put on breads apart from butter and jams. It's directly translated as candy of milk. It taste like caramel sugar and it's AWESOME. Kim, Ariane and I loved it when we first tasted. Ariane was so enchanted, she wanted to import to Canada. Dulce de leche became my top choice in bread spreads. So yummy, so delicious, so fat. 

fried potato wrapped egg ball
This is a street food. Cooked egg wrapped in mashed potato then fried and ate with various spice sauces and mayonnaise. It's also very high calories and the food safety is very questionable. I found this while waiting in Potosi bus station waiting for the bus to Uyuni. I ate two because it was most frequently visited by locals. It tastes pretty good considering, might be because of my hunger and need for energy. 

Saltenas mmmmmmm mmmm mmmmmmm
Salteñas. It's a popular Bolivian mid morning snack. Estephanie took me to a cafe called "El Patio" in Sucre. It's a massive colonial building with seating in the centre patio. This place only sells saltenas and it's the most famous place for it, even among locals. I got the chicken saltenas. Geezes, I immediately regretted not knowing this cuisine two weeks ago, otherwise I would've ate this every day. It's got chicken, peas, potatoes with a slight sweet spicy sauce inside. The pastry is crusty and baked perfectly. The hot ingredients inside match very well with the sweet and slightly spicy sauce... Mmmmm Mmmmm mmmmmmmmm dear saltena, you had me at first bite.

el patio on a sunny day

el patio!

No comments:

Post a Comment