Pages

Feb 15, 2013

Gringo cooking in Sucre

When I got to Sucre, my mental health wasn't doing great. I miss my family. I miss cooking. I miss stability. I was tired of backpacking around and sick of making friends then bidding goodbye the next day. I started cooking. The ability to cook whatever I want and the joy in creating them provided a sense of comfort. It reminded me of my mom.

I ventured out to the public market after Spanish lessons. The trick is to visit the same seller every time. The same veggie lady, same egg lady, same fruit lady and same spice lady. Haggle, haggle and haggle more. They like to rip off of gringos but after a week or so, they will feel bad and give you a better offer.

I made fried rice, for 3 straight days. Fried rice with veggies and eggs. Simple but way better than anything the restaurants provide. I loved veggies. Eating it makes me feel good, like my body is fresh and regenerated. I started liking papayas. The stalls sell massive papayas. Apparently it's a super fruit with lots of good stuff for health. They were delicious and easy to eat. I chop them in half, eat one half then couldn't help myself but eat the other half too. The free food/spice cupboard is also a must visit everyday. I found rice, pastas, spices, cooking oil, instant soups, instant noodles and even cereals.

very first self cooked meal

and then the lazy versions days afterwards

papayas the size of my face, still consider small by
the local standards

No comments:

Post a Comment