Pages

Jan 27, 2013

Surviving La Paz wild rover 1.0

Wild Rover hostel. Where do I start... The people here are crazy. The staff and the backpackers equally.

My 16 person dorm room was huge, the washrooms are clean and the food at the built in bar is legitimate. There is booking agency right inside the hostel, laundry services, security locks, 3 patios and gated entrance with security guard 24-7. Sounds pretty great right?

Most people hang around the bar, around the pool table or the CNN plasma tv. The bar serves alcohol starting 10am to 1am non-stop. Don't worry, the party doesn't stop there, we all relocate to the preplanned club destination.

My dorm room was 10 steps away from the bar and 1 wall apart. We can hear every shot drank, every strike at the pool and to our utmost pleasure, every pop music played. "WILD ROVER!!!!!!!!!" is the tradition before everyone chucks their shot, which is heard throughout the day. Dorm mates (and strangers) go in and out of our unlocked dorm room, shouting, chatting, searching for stuff, singing, and doing private shenanigans. The staff invite themselves in with a bottle of liquor and yells "WHO WANTS A FREE SHOT??" at midnight. No shit.

Stumbling to the bar starving, I ordered a big meaty meal. While waiting, the staffs and I started chatting. It started like this,

"Would you like something to drink?"

"No thanks, I'm weak at alcohol."

"This shot is on me." hands over a shot.

After dinner time, the bar turned into a club. Seriously, no joke. The music was blazing, the space was jam packed with people dancing. It was Pimps and Hoes night.

One staff and I went to the hidden costume room. Him dressed up in superwoman outfit and I wore Santa Clause hat and outfit with a big bling bling chain. Damn I was so weak with alcohol (I suspect it's the altitude, La Paz is 4000m)

"You want to play dice???" one staff said.

"Uh, no, thanks."

"Just roll the dice."

"Okay..."

The Dice game. Roll the dice, whoever got the smallest number buys everyone in the game a shot. So this is how I started drinking for free. The highest shots bought ever was around 60. Insane.

Wearing a santa clause outfit, I stumbled back to my bed passed out for 2 hours. The two shots of alcohol was really drank too fast.

When I managed to rejoin the party, the staff boy hoes and girl pimps were dancing on the bar while pouring free shots to everyone. At 1 am sharp, the securities kicked us out of the bar, taxis were lined up at the hostel taking everyone to a club called "traffic". Hop and squeeze, the Frenchie dorm mates, two strangers and I, we all jammed in a small taxi and headed off. With windows down, the breeze coming in, the Bolivian night  scenery passing by, the radio playing Spanish music, laughters and giggles. 

Traffic was surprisingly undoggily modern with led lights, pop music and flashy bar. The dance floor was jammed with our hostel people. Dancing the old moves, being as dorky and stupid we really are. 

Wild rover is a perfect place to meet a load of people. Travelling around Bolivia, it's normal to say...  "hey! I've seen you before.... wild rover?" and "I know that person. You're a wild rover too?". It's possible that wild rovers will be on same tours and long haul buses. It's also highly likely to get along with some and eventually travel together. Conveniences of wild rover. Just remember, while you're there, take care of the liver and remember to get out and see the city a little...

Apparently, one of two hot Asian girls got together with a random guy that night, doing it in our dorm room. Guess what happened the next day? Everyone thought I was her. "Oh! The room was dark so I thought she was you by the hairstyle. She was so loud and rowdy. They made love like no one was in this 16 person dorm room."

Great.

you foolish human beings, drain yourself in alcohol and -I- shall rule this hostel

No comments:

Post a Comment