Pages

Sep 6, 2012

South America Prep Part 6: Hostels and Guides

Guides
I refer to Lonely Planet and Rough Guides when first starting to do backpack trips. Later on, as I got more use to socializing with people and finding local resources, reading guides became less of a habit. I'll do a little homework scan on the local safety and top known attractions then leave the rest as a surprise! Socializing to people is such a fun way to find out where to go and where's the party. Its so boring to have things planned out on a trip, it eliminates the element of surprise, plus, you get to do these things with new friends. Talking to the local hostel hosts and staff is a good idea as well. They usually have good suggestions and local secrets and most of the time, it will not burn a hole in the wallet. Many hostels have boards that tells you what to do around town as well, but that depends on the quality of hostels you go to.

Hostels
Hostelworld has been my go-to since the beginning of adventures. It hasn't failed me once. Top qualities I look for is cleanliness and safety. Usually what I do is search the location then sort the results by top satisfaction reviews then look for the one with cheapest dorm room bed. It usually gives you a within reasonably cheap dorm room but a great overall hostel quality. From my past experience, it doesn't make a difference whether its a 12 person mix dorm or a 20 person mix dorm, so I just go for the biggest dorm room possible to save more money and still maintain the quality. The pros of staying at dorms is that you will meet plenty of people within a short amount of time and the cons is your dorm mates will mostly likely be guys. For me, they are easier to befriend and hang out with but you have to understand that they are simply not as clean or tidy as girls.

one of my favourite hostel :)


No comments:

Post a Comment